Friday, February 4, 2011

Broccoli-Cheese Wrap

From Moosewood Restaurant: Cooking for Health



I made these wraps and took a bunch of blurry unattractive pictures while realizing that I was totally behind schedule, so I apologize about the less than beautiful picture. I don't know about this recipe, I think it would have been really good if I had a chance to eat it right away, still warm, instead of bringing it with me to work and eating it out of the fridge at lunch. It probably would have tasted better if I put it in a wrap instead of pita too. Although it was better than a peanut butter sandwich, I doubt I would make these again.

Serves 4 - Time: 20 minutes


1 tablespoon oil
1 cup onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped broccoli
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated feta cheese or chevre
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and ground black pepper
4 large or 8 small whole wheat tortillas


1. Warm the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the onions and salt and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the ricotta, mozzarella, and feta cheese and the basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. To make wraps: In an unoiled skillet or griddle on medium heat, warm each tortilla for about 30 seconds on each side, until softened, or warm the stack of tortillas in a microwave oven for about 20 seconds. Roll the filling in smaller tortillas like an enchilada. For larger tortillas, place filling in the center, fold one side and then the other up and over the filling, and then tuck the open ends under. Eat as is, or brown lightly in an oiled skilled on medium heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment