Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lebanese Vegetable Soup



From Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

This soup is, so far, my favourite soup in the Moosewood canon. It is chock full of ingredients that make Lebanese food so healthy and delicious: chickpeas, artichokes, tomatoes, and parsley. It has a nice briny kick to it, with a tart and sharp finish. It's also extremely hearty if you add a bunch of potatoes (which I do). My boyfriend likes this soup so much that I call it "his" soup---just between us! This soup is also a great bring-to-work item, as the veggies inside aren't overcooked and won't lose their shape after being popped into the microwave to warm it up. It will give you a nice lemony briny delicious kick in the middle of your work day.

Serves: 6-8 Cooking time: 30 minutes

1 large Spanish onion, chopped (2 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium-large carrots, chopped (2 1/2 cups)
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (I put double this)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped potatoes (I usually add about 3 cups for a heartier soup)
1 teaspoon salt
4-5 cups vegetable stock (use whatever brine is left from the canned artichokes and then water for the rest)
2 large tomatoes (chopped)
10 artichoke hearts, cut into 1/8ths (2 14 ounce cans)
1 can of chickpeas, or 3/4 cups of cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 lemons, cut into wedges


Saute the onion in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots. Cover. Stir again after 3 minutes. Add the ground red pepper, coriander and garlic. Cover and cook for a few more minutes.

Add the potatoes, salt & 2 cups of the stock. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heart and simmer until the potatoes are nearly tender. Be careful not to overcook them. Gently stir in the tomatoes, artichoke hearts and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 - 3 cups of stock, heat gently. Garnish with parsley and have everyone squeeze a wedge or two of lemon into their soup right before they eat it. YUM!

2 comments:

  1. I swear I posted a comment for this post yesterday... I finally made this recipe myself and it was delicious!!! SWB and Ian gobbled it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back! After nine months in Mozambique where I didn't cook a single thing I'm back in the kitchen. This was the first thing I made. So tasty!

    ReplyDelete