Saturday, May 28, 2011

Janet's Delicious Rhubarb Cake

I am breaking a cardinal rule of this blog with this post. Firstly, this is NOT a Moosewood recipe. Those of you familiar with the Moosewood books would guess this immediately given the amount of sugar involved. Secondly, I have no photos for this post at the moment.

So why am I posting this? Because it is delicious. And because my friend Liz wants the recipe. So Liz, this is for you!

Cake:
1 2/3 cup sugar (I think you could reduce this significantly if you wanted, though I've never tried)
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 egg
2 cups rhubarb (I like rhubarb a lot, and I tend to have a lot of it from the garden so I often add a generous 3 cups)
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine or butter

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Beat well. Add yogurt or sour cream.
Sift soda and salt with flour and stir into first mixture. Add vanilla. Coat Rhubarb with Tbsp flour and add gently to batter.

Pour into greased 13 x 9 pan.
Spread batter evenly.

Blend ingredients for topping together and sprinkle over batter. You don't want to spread it, you want it drizzled so that it melts through the cake when it bakes.

Bake 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I've been waiting all my life for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I love that one of the tags is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm missing a very important ingredient here: 2 cups sugar for the cake! Which you mix with the soda and also 1/2 teaspoon salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be 2 cups of FLOUR for the cake...

      Delete